Saturday 2 July 2011

“What if…?”

In the later stages of recovery I found myself asking the question: “What if I didn’t become sick?”

I began to grieve what I perceived as missed or lost opportunities due to my years immersed in a battle with an eating disorder.

For example it went something like this:

I could have had adolescence, travelled the world in my early 20’s, had my university degree by 25, an awesome career as a famous singer and lastly married to either a stylish French man or Justin Timberlake.

These things aside, I would be anywhere but where I found myself: an empty shell of a young woman.

“If only I didn’t develop anorexia!”

Then one day I heard some incredibly wise words spoken by Eckhart Tolle.

She states: “whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it.”

This made sense to me. From the very beginning you are on the path that is right for you even if you cannot at times see it.


Trust yourself and your instincts of the past and today as sometimes the road less traveled is less travelled for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment