Wednesday 22 June 2011

I have struggled against an eating disorder since I was 14 years of age. I am happy to say that I am now recovered in my late 20’s but I still don’t know what the term implies. My life is no longer ruled by anorexia, but contrary to this, at times I can still feel its presence lingering in the background. It can get me while trying to concentrate in a lecture room at uni or dressing up to go out. Anytime, anywhere the ED voice has no hesitation in letting me know that I am inferior or ugly. By now, it knows me and what’s better I know it well. I have mastered it where it can linger, but not take over and I get cleverer at restraining it every day. Recovered: yes. But not completely and not in a clean break kind of way. I am hopeful that it is only a matter of persistence and time until we depart company for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment